Yunohost vs. Freedombox opinion, blog link

I wrote my comparison of both these self-hosting projects.

Yunohost & Freedombox, Self-hosting Made Easy(er)
https://blog.arkadi.one/p/yunohost-freedombox/

It might be useful to some. I wrote it because Freedombox keeps getting awesome press, while the easier, more functional Yunohost isn’t getting any love from bloggers and tech writers.

Are there any good walkthroughs, or reviews in English for Yunohost that you would recommend?

5 Likes

Thanks for this review.
What did you mean by that :

Personally though, I think if you’re really interested in Tor and other such services, you could just install Yunohost, and learn how to install Tor yourself on your Yunohost box.

From what I know, there is no app up to date able to do that. Do you have a trick or another way to setup a tor (server) on a yunohost box?

@arthus
Tor can be ran on server to host onion domains for Yunohost. You can install apps on the onion network like you do it for regular domains.

1 Like

From what I know, there is no app up to date able to do that. Do you have a trick or another way to setup a tor (server) on a yunohost box?

you are exactly right, there isn’t a built-in Tor app on Yunohost.

So I am saying, people should install Yunohost and then just learn how to install Tor via terminal “apt install tor” and configure it themselves.

I wish Tor and other privacy type things were available for Yunohost but i realize not many people need those services. I’ll re-write that portion to make it clearer.

https://yunohost.org/#/torhiddenservice

1 Like

You should read the warning on the top of this page. It’s quite important.

This tuto is not finished ! Some data could leak with this setup like the main domain of your yunohost, so it’s not a “Hidden Service”.

Yeah @kanhu, Torrent Hidden services allows us create an onion domain. So it is creating a .onion domain main which is “hidden” to the mainstream internet.

@ljf very important warning indeed, especially if you are interested in anonymity.

There is a package for zeronet. Using zeronet on tor is good way to host you pages.