YunoHost et partage multimédia

With B choice there is the same issue.
It disappeared from VLC, Volumio or other.

Here is the log : https://paste.yunohost.org/uvixarinoc

And yet minidlna seems to work perfectly and to find your files.
Sure you’re always on the same local network when trying to see the files ?

And if you restart manually the service, still nothing ?
Another device maybe from which you can try ?

I don’t know what to say, the app seems to work, you should be able to see the files from a dlna client.

1 Like

Maybe could i change things in etc/minidlna.conf ?

Restarting service manually don’t change the situation i don’t see YunoHost DNLA with clients

Last time I did have that kind of issue (a long time ago), I fight with the config without any results… I finally gave up some of my clients and update the version of minidlna.
It appears that it wasn’t because of minidlna, but the clients.

DLNA is not really a protocol you need to configure. It just broadcast on the local network, and client can connect to it.

None of your clients can see the the shared media ?

1 Like

Sorry but after a reboot nothing work i don’t understand why and the log still the same.

If you confirm that

• With both version of the package it doesn’t work
  • You’re always on same local network
  • You tried different clients without any success

I have no other clues.
The problem with such protocol is, as it’s really easy to use, there’s isn’t any configuration to do. And so nothing to do when it doesn’t work, since it just supposed to work.

It work before the reboot, but after nothing work. And yes the log look good don’t understand.

There is another way to share multimedia on the same network ?

I personally moved to NFS for Kodi, since Kodi does not build its library over DLNA.
But NFS can’t be compared to DLNA…

However, it does work to share media across different devices on a local network.

I think there’s also some apps available in YunoHost to play your media over your browser or clients apps.

1 Like

Is NFS compatible with YunoHost ?

I will look for tuto to try it.

Does it work with VLC ? Better to my users, but if they need Kodi i will try to make the family change their habit.
Thanks for your help

Huh yes NFS is fully compatible with YunoHost. I use it myself.

It can work with VLC, actually it works with everything, NFS is just a shared directory across your local network.
Although it does work only on Linux based OS.

The only problem with NFS is, where DLNA is an easy to set up protocol, NFS is far more difficult to handle.
You don’t just broadcast over your local network. You have to set up your directory to share on one side, the server. And you need to mount a NFS file system in each client to access it.
But when it’s done, the mount become just a part of your file system.

1 Like

Finally i install it on a classical Raspberry Pi and it work, never doing something different like on my server it’s strange

Considering that it does work now for you, I tried to install minidlna on a VM.
After the install, and after a restart of the service, I see my share on VLC.
If I quit and restart VLC, I don’t see it anymore…

But, I can still see my minidlna on my server.
I’m going to investigate that…

1 Like

On my own minidlna, on my server I have a shorter notify_interval
Putting it at 5 on my VM, it worked again on VLC…

Going to put that on the package.

2 Likes

I put it on my server too, reboot and how great it work perfectly it like.
I juste play the command line update-rc.d minidlna defaults

Can you help mo too understand what change notify_interfal

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Not completely sure, hard to find info on that.
But what I understand is that the DLNA protocol announce itself over the network by broadcasting a NOTIFY instruction. Like a hello I’m here.

The frequency of this notification correspond to that notify_interval.
The default version, 895 is every 15 minutes.
So every 15 minutes, minidlna says hello to everyone to let other devices know that it’s here.
It’s good enough for device that are always up, they know for a long time that the dlna service is there.
But if you have devices that look for a dlna service only sometimes, they’ll likely not be up at the right moment.

Probably what happened with vlc.
I restart minidlna, it announce itself.
I start VLC, the announce has just been done, VLC see the service.
I close VLC, restart it, too late… I would need to let VLC listening for 15 minutes for the next announce.

But if I restart minidlna, it will send a new notification, VLC catches it. It works again.

So the idea is to turn the interval to 5s. minidlna then announce itself every 5s, for every devices.

My network runs with that value since many years, it doesn’t seems to overload my network.

1 Like

La configuration par défaut sur OpenMediavault (solution NAS sur Debian) qui propose minidlna la mise à 60.

Il faut aussi le système de fichiers utilisé supporte le inotify

J’utilie minidlna sur mon PC perso depusi plusieurs années sans souci et ça m’intéresse de le voir en place dans Yunohost.

Chez moi, sur mon yunohost, j’ai l’installé il a fonctionné et m’a détecté 0 fichiers. Puis a planté.
Puis j’ai ajouté une vidéo dans /home/yunohost.multimedia/share/Vidéo qu’il n’a jamais vu , car jamais rescanné mon dossier share.
J’ai du relancer le /usr/sbin/minidnla -R pour qu’il le rescanne. Les systemctl restart n’ont jamais relancé de scan tout seul. Le inotify n’a pas détecté tout seul les changements.
Dans mon cas, je n’ai pas de disque externe, tout est dans une Virtualbox.

1 Like

notify_interval and inotify are 2 differents things

notify_interval is its announce over the network for other devices looking for DLNA shares
inotify is a file system function that trig modification on the file system.

The file /etc/sysctl.d/90-inotify_minidlna.conf increase the capacity of inotify to support big library.

To it properly, since the sysvinit script doesn’t support anymore force-reload and force-restart (-r and -R), the best would the following:

sudo systemctl stop minidlna
sudo -u minidlna /usr/sbin/minidlnad -r
sudo systemctl start minidlna

But clearly, an action in the admin panel would be nice :wink: (added to my todo list)

1 Like

Exact. Je n’ai pas tout compris sur le role de :

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 65536

Mais je précise aussi pour @Guillermo que si minidlna est fonctionnel, on doit pouvoir y avoir accès sur le port 48200 du serveur et voir les nombres de fichiers reconnus :

http://nomyuno:48200 ou http://ip_locale:48200

avec des infos comme :

MiniDLNA status

Media library
Audio files 0
Video files 1
Image files 0
Connected clients
ID Type IP Address HW Address Connections
0 Generic UPnP 1.0 192.168.10.132 F4:30:B9:9C:8F:63 0
1 Samsung Series [CDEFJ] 192.168.10.137 90:F1:AA:17:E5:D8 0

-1 connections currently open

On voit donc les périphériques connectés et leur IP.
Ici : Generic UPNP : VLC et Samsung Serie (ma télé)

1 Like

merci beaucoup @Maniack_Crudelis pour l’aide précieuse et l’explications tout aussi précieuse.

@francoisa est ce que l’on peux supposer quand modifiant la ligne URL presented to client je puisse y acceder depuis l’extérieur et lire mes médias depuis l’extérieur ?

Si ton serveur se trouve directement sur l’Internet, en théorie ça devrait être possible, mais :

1. Tu ne peux pas spécifier de serveur dans VLC, le serveur minidlna doit être dans le même sous-réseau que ta machine lectrice. Donc ça ne marchera pas si tu es dans un sous-réseau, derrière une box par exemple. Ca veut donc dire que ton PC devra être directement sur Internet et avoir sa propre IP publique. Ca qui est plutôt rare. Et une fois dans ta situation, VLC fera une requete sur l’ensemble des IP existantes (ça veut dire pas mal de monde), ce qui n’aboutira pas.
  2. Ca veut dire aussi que si ta machine est accessible sur Internet, tout le monde peut aussi y avoir accès, car minidlna n’est pas restreint sur l’authentification.
  3. Ca supposera aussi que ta connexion Internet est rapide des 2 côtés, en tout pour ce qui est de pouvoir visualiser des Vidéos.

La solution serait sans doute de te connecter en VPN à ton yunohost et de te trouver dans le même réseau que lui, mais on rentre dans des subtilités que je maitrise mal et qui sont, me semble-t-il pas encore complètement abouties.

En fait minidlna n’est absolument pas fait pour être accessible depuis Internet, c’est pour l’installer sur un serveur local et rendre accessibles des fichiers aux personnes connectées dans le même réseau.

Si tu cherches des solutions de partage de fichiers multimédias, autant les déposer sur un cloud ou sur une plateforme de diffusion conçue pour ça comme Funkwhale pour la musique, ou Tvheadend pour les vidéos.

Mais un Nextcloud fait aussi bien l’affaire et peut lire des fichiers médias en streaming, sans devoir les télécharger.

1 Like