? YunoHost based on DeVUan?

Hello,
I’m a newbie who wish to begin with self-hosting.
I just discovered YunoHost and it looks amazing.
Before I jump into it, I read that YH is based on Debian.

Do you plan to release a YH version also compatible with Devuan?
Or is it already?

Thank you for your consideration,

• Ann

I am not sure at all to understand.
The difference between Debian and Devuan is quite technical, no noob (as you said) should consider this something important.
At least I don’t :sweat_smile:

Can you elaborate why you prefer init instead of systemd ?
(This is for me to understand, I have no idea about the inside of YunoHost to be able to answear your question)

Thank you for your comment.
I’ll not debate largely on init preference (the topic has already flowded the web) but simply describe my situation.

I’m working with EmmabuntuDE (Debian edition: https://emmabuntus.org/) since 7 years now as daily desktop. It is an excellent distro for Linux beginner & old computers.

But years passes by, the computer slows more and more with its only 4Gb of RAM.

It seems that system without systemd (like Devuan) offers better performance and easiest admin (KISS & stable).
After those last 2 updates, my system struggles and I’ve to reboot it several times a day.

I also considered to switch to BSD’s… because I can’t simply understand how is it possible that Linux & GitHub were bought by MS?! What about the future of Linux? Will it still match its original purpose?

Unfortunatelly, I don’t have enough computing skills to self-host with a BSD OS base… and YunoHost is not proposed with a BSD base… yet :slight_smile:

Note that I don’t wish to create any controversy. I respect everyone thoughts, beleives, needs & choices. I’m just looking for a tailored solution :slight_smile:

I highly doubt that systemd makes such a difference in terms of performance … from what I know, the concerns are mainly philosophical / political / design (which doesn’t mean it’s not important)

As for easier administration, well, if you’re using any graphical interface, that doesn’t change anything, and if you’re using command line, well my opinion is that systemd is probably easier to master and is probably more stable, as it’s the most widely used option

Github, yes, but that has nothing to do with the current discussion here. Linux didn’t get “bought” by Microsoft, you can’t “buy” Linux. Microsoft is a board of the Linux Foundation, which is something else. Obviously Microsoft wants to get closer to Linux and open source, which may or may not be a bad thing, that’s a pretty vast topic.

The purpose of the Linux Foundation is, as I understand it, to gather some donations to be able to maintain and make the project evolve. And obviously among the biggest actors in the computer industry there are a bunch of “villains” (or rather, it’s easier to list the good guys that the bad ones). So don’t worry, Microsoft is not the only member of the Linux Foundation, you can also cite Facebook, Google, IBM, Oracle, AT&T, Blackrock, Uber, Qualcomm.

Somebody could ask you what’s the “original purpose” of Linux … The “original purpose” was literally just a hobby for Linus Torvalds … But anyway, it feels kinda weird to radically change an OS just because it what it may become in 5-30 years “because MS joined the Linux Foundation”

Again, there’s a difference between the Linux Foundation and the Linux developers. Being a member of the foundation doesn’t mean you can radically change the trajectory of the project or inject a backdoor in the code.

Also many people think they can find some “purity” in other distribution/projects for whatever reason, but “purity” is always a pragmatic tradeoff with how much time+effort you can invest, considering that stuff may be “pure” but not work as well as the “less-pure” stuff because, for example, it doesn’t run the usual mainstream software you’d want to use. (Or, for example, in the case of smartphone, because stuff like Replicant don’t support WiFi without proprietary blobs, etc…)

As for Yunohost, changing the base distribution probably implies to re-write at least half of the project + app ecosystem … Yunohost is based on Debian because it’s a well-known distribution, it’s hackable, and you can be pretty sure that if there’s a software out there, it can easily be installed on Debian. The same thing can’t be easily be said for Devuan or BSD …

I agree with @Mamie, this whole discussion sounds more “technical” or “nerd” than “noob”

2 Likes

ok so I know now that I can stick to debian and move on.
Thank you @Aleks for all your clarifications :slight_smile:

Take good care!

1 Like