XMPP on root domain when YNH is installed in a subdomain

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.3.6.2
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I am running ynh in a subdomain (apps.mydomain.tld) and have added the root domain to the list too but will no be able to change the A and AAAA DNS records for it because it points to our website, which is hosted somewhere else. I added the XMPP related DNS records, though.

Is it possible to set up XMPP to go through the root domain this way?

Probably, you “just” have to adapt all the XMPP-related records, such as having A records instead of CNAME, and ignore the diagnosis warnings. But Yunohost won’t engineer all of this for you because Yunohost only handles the “nominal” usecase.

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply! I have set up A records instead of CNAME now but XMPP does not work yet.

I am getting the following error message when trying to send messages to another server using converse:
Server-to-server connection failed: encountered an error while attempting to verify dialback

I understand this is not the typical YNH use case. I am asking just in case someone else has a similar setup and could give me a hand.

Another error message I get is:
Server-to-server connection failed: not-authorized (Your server's certificate is not trusted)

This is not working on the root domain but works in any subdomain. I am not sure what I am missing. It seems I need the A records to point to the ynh server. Is there a workaround for that?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.