What is the limit for installing apps?

Hey, I love to try out new apps. But often I have no idea before hand how much space they will require, how much RAM they need and if they will eat my CPU cores for breakfast.

Is there a way to asses how much room a server has left and if an app will still fit?

Maybe a list with minimal/preferred system requirements could help? Or does something like this already exist and am I not looking well enough?

Some developement has been started on that topic. Here an extract on the new app manifest v2:

[resources]
    [resources.disk]
    build = "50M" # This is an *estimate* minimum value for the disk needed at build time (e.g. during install/upgrade) and during regular usage
    usage = "50M" # Please only use round values such as: 10M, 100M, 200M, 400M, 800M, 1G, 2G, 4G, 8G

[resources.ram]
    build = "50M" # This is an *estimate* minimum value for the ram needed at build time (e.g. during install/upgrade) and during regular usage
    usage = "10M" # Please only use round values such as: 10M, 100M, 200M, 400M, 800M, 1G, 2G, 4G, 8G
    include_swap = false

More info on: Thoughts towards a new packaging format / manifest format · Issue #1614 · YunoHost/issues · GitHub

Note: if we prepare a mechanism to declare it doesn’t mean we know what to indicates for each apps. So we could simply start to list the 300 apps and let the community feel those info.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.