Weird problem with DNS resolution

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi at home
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I’ve noticed that some ipv6 DNS resolutions within my domain are false on my yunohost server. I think it’s related to dnsmasq but I don’t know how to fix this:

When I try to resolve a host in my domain, on the Yunohost server, the answer for the IPv6 address is not correct (If I launch a nslookup onehost.mydomain the answer is not the good one.)

My DNS records are correct and when I launch au ping in ipv6 from another machine to my another host on my domain, the answer is good (with the good ipv6 address).

What could be the problem?
Thanks a lot for your answer.

EDIT: even most weird, from another machine, when I launch nslookup onehost.mydomain myyunohost_ipaddress_server (to force nslookup to use the dnsmasq of my yunohost server), the answser is right!

Any idea?
I don’t know where or what to search…

• What if you resolve another domain that your local domain
  • How “wrong” is it (is it absolutely gibberish or is it … let me guess … the local IP)
  • Is this limited to IPv6 (is IPv4 resolution right ?)
  • Locally it’s expected that your local domain resolves to the local IP because of the way dnsmasq works. In the past we had many issues related to let’s encrypt and other local curl requests not being properly routed if you happen to be on a not-properly-configured-network or if the external DNS points to a wrong IP, so we ended up doing this. (Also sudo complaining and other shenanigans)
  • Why is it an issue, what is your real issue behind this …

Thanks Aleks for your help

• If I resolve another domain, there’s no problem. The problem happens only when I try to reach another machine on my domain from the yunohost server.

• No the answer is completely wrong. It doesn’t answer with the local link address, but with an address with the right prefix but not the right suffix. In addition, the answer is always the same, for all the machines I try to resolve (example: the answer for host1.mydomain is the same for host2.mydomain)

• the problem occurs in both IPv4 and IPV6

• I can confirm that it’s not the local IP in the resolution.

• It’s not really yunohost-relative issue and I have no problem to get my yunohost server running correctly. But it’s a little bit weird and can cause (little) problems: In example I’m unable to connect in SSH to another machine in the domain from my yunohost server.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.