VPN, static, dedicated IP ? What a confusion!

Hello everyone,

Firstly I precise that I am a novice !
I feel like when people talk about static IP then means dedicated IP. Is it right ?
I need your help to understand what VPN providers mean when they offer a static IP. For instance, Aquilnet proposes a static IP on demand. The IP could be shared with other users ? Is it a problem for self-hosting (I suppose no).
Second question: do you have a feed back regarding the FFDN VPN performances ? I (finally !) have the fiber and I don’t want to loose to much debit…
Do you have a feed back on others VPN providers as NordVPN ? Is this provider self-hosting compatible (with mailing service for instance) ?

Thank you for your time ! Your opinion is important for me.

A static IP means “an IP that does not spontaneously change over time” (which is called dynamic IP). Having a dynamic IP is not that much of a big deal if you use for example a nohost.me / noho.st / ynh.fr domain which is integrated in Yunohost in such a way that the DNS records will automatically get updated if your IP changes (so called “dyndns”)

However, a static IP (or dynamic as well) may be shared across multiple persons due to the increasing rarity of IPv4 (and because ISPs are like “internet access = being able to access facebook lol ?”). It is “shared” in the sense that you may only have “one fourth” of available ports at your disposal. But in the context of self-hosting, you need to be able to expose ports 80, 443, etc… You typically cannot do this if you happen to be using a shared IP.

Yes, there’s a likelihood to loose bandwith depending on the CPU that encrypt/decrypt the traffic and from my understanding/experience that’s where the bottleneck is. However, even with a VPN, you can typically perfectly watch full-HD videos on Youtube. Personally I don’t really understand the hype around the fiber. Unless you have like 5+ people behind the same connection watching full-HD videos etc, moving from a 3~5MB/s connection to the fiber ain’t that big of a deal …

I don’t have much experience with it, but typically these providers are about anonymization-VPNs with shared IPs which is the opposite of what you want in the context of self-hosting … But maybe they also have offers/plans for dedicated-IP VPN where you have full control over port forwarding etc…

(To hopefully clarify : all of this shit is complicated as hell because regular ISPs (= not Aquilenet or the FFDN) sell you some ‘Internet’ that isn’t true ‘Internet’, and because they don’t do shit about the whole IPv4/IPv6 situation …)

Thank you for your answer ! Every information are clear.
To sum up, if I want to be sure, I have to subscribed to a dedicated IP VPN.

If my understanding is correct, if I use a nohost.me / noho.st / ynh.fr domain then it is not necessary to configure the dyndns on the rooter of my ISP ?

Yes, Yunohost will take care of it