Update Errors, also on fix commands!

… share the result of the output of the command …

root@easycomp:~# grep -nr ‘HARDDISK’ /etc/
root@easycomp:~#

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-12 om 20.29.38

OMG DUCKING WINDBLOWS I HATE YOU MAYOSOFT!!!

THAT (EXCUSE MY LANG) OS I LIKE A DEADMAKING DISEASE AAAARGH
Last night my rack server crashed due to buggy windblows so that means that the VM running Yuno had a forced shutdown.

and guess what…

:pokerface:

Well it booted just fine but same issue…

Hi guys, I have the same issue. I’m running Yunohost on a VM, and I also had to increase the hard disk size. Has anyone an idea of how to solve that ? grep -nr 'HARDDISK' /etc/ isn’t either sending back anything. What is it meant to say ?
I didn’t try to reboot yet …

Or maybe we should rather check grep -nr 'HARDDISK' /boot/

The point is to identify where that reference to apparently an old (?) disk id is kept …

still an empty answer…
Otherwise, is there a way to reconfigure grub ? with some kind of boot-repair ?

I just found that on the web while searching “cannot grub-install to it” (with the quotes). I’m gonna try

edit : i’m not gonna try anything, i just don’t understand what has to be done ^^

Hi,
I have got the same error on “pure silicon”.
I have changed my disk earlier after a crash. I had a image copy of it and put it on a new one. everything has been running and updating Ok for weeks on version 4.1.

After trying to install an app today Iv got;

You cannot do this right now because dpkg/APT (the system package managers) seems to be in a broken state… You can try to solve this issue by connecting through SSH and running `sudo apt install --fix-broken` and/or `sudo dpkg --configure -a`.
$ sudo apt install --fix-broken
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-OCZ_VERTEX_PLUS_19JE1KI41W61AY8PEP3Y does not exist, so cannot grub-install to it!
You must correct your GRUB install devices before proceeding:

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
dpkg: error processing package grub-pc (--configure):
 installed grub-pc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 grub-pc
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So this “ata-OCZ_VERTEX” is my old replaced SSD.

Any help appreciated.

Hmpf I don’t understand why this issue shows up for so many people suddenly …

My naive guess would be that there’s some reference somewhere to the old disk ID … but apparently it’s neither in /etc/ nor /boot/ …

Idk, naively we can try to look for it on the entire system with

grep -nr "OCZ_VERTEX_PLUS" /

but i don’t have much other ideas on how to proceed :confused:

Or maybe grub-install /dev/sda (<- or the appropriate disk, be careful) … but I think we tried that earlier and this wasnt sucesful in fixing the apt/dpkg issue …

1 Like

Thanks Aleks, Iv tested grub-install but that didn’t changed anything on my setup either.

Found this, not sure but seems related - Recent updates and upgrades can fail when updating to grub-pc/2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u3 in Buster - Updates/Upgrades - openmediavault

It might be linked, doesn’t it ? a sudden grub update bug on devices where a former disk does not exist anymore… I’m really surprised that there are so few people on the web (apparently 4) who declared this precise error message “cannot grub-install to it”.
To try the mentionned solution, i have to run sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt dpkg --configure -a right ?

1 Like

Yup, then probably select the appropriate disk where to install grub

ok i’m cloning the vm to have a backup and will then try. Which is basically the disk on which I have to insall grub (assumed that I left the default partitioning at the installation) ?

Uuuuh idk it kinda depends on your setup … In a typical setup there’s only one or two disks so it’s usually obvious which one is the main system disk …

well… yes indeed ^^ (I should have only one disk i think) I think I’ll find that easily then.
The backup will take half an our, so I’ll tell you tomorrow wether it worked or not…

1 Like
sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt dpkg --configure -a
Paramétrage de grub-pc (2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u3) ...
debconf: Impossible d'initialiser l'interface : Newt
debconf: (Can't locate Debconf/FrontEnd/Newt.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Debconf::FrontEnd::Newt module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at (eval 18) line 2.)
debconf: Utilisation de l'interface Noninteractive en remplacement
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-VBOX_HARDDISK_VB001e0a7f-7b0eb967 does not exist, so cannot grub-install to it! 

Well, it didn’t work…

Let’s try with interfact text then