Unable to login after fresh install

Hi, great project, was looking for something like this!

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: latest, just installed, don’t know where to find
I have access to my server : Through SSH
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I installed yunohost on my VPS with my own domain. After postinstall (tried via web AND CLI) everything looks fine. But I cannot login into Yunohost with my password I have chosen.

hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo yunohost user group list
[sudo] password for hannes: 
groups: 
  all_users: 
    members: 
  visitors: 
    members: 
hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo yunohost user list
users: 
hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo yunohost user create admin
First name: hannes
Last name:        
Error: Argument 'lastname' is required
hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo yunohost user create admin
Last name: xxxx
Password: 
Confirm password: 
Available domains:
- gobuild.run
Domain to use for the user's email address and XMPP account (default: gobuild.run):         
Error: Could not create user admin: Attribute 'uid' already exists with value 'admin'
hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo yunohost user list
users: 

Apparently even on command line I cannot see any users. When I try to change passwd:

hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo passwd admin
LDAP administrator password: 
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged
hannes@gobuild:~$ ls -la /home/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x  7 root   root   4096 Apr 23 10:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 root   root   4096 Apr 23 10:09 ..
drwxr-x---  3 admin    1007 4096 Apr 23 11:36 admin
drwxr-xr-x  5 hannes hannes 4096 Apr 23 10:48 hannes
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root   4096 Apr 23 10:29 yunohost.app
drwxr-x---  3 admin  root   4096 Apr 23 10:29 yunohost.backup
drwxr-x---  4 root   root   4096 Apr 23 11:34 yunohost.conf

User is in home

You should create a first user, but it can’t be called “admin” because “admin” is an already existing special user (which is not displayed in yunohost user list)

Okay, but I can not login as admin. Even though I am using the password. And probavly I can not take any user which is already present in the system? When I take “hannes” to login with password of the system (login) it does nor work either.

hannes@gobuild:~$ sudo yunohost user create hannes
[sudo] password for hannes: 
Last name: xxx
Password: 
Confirm password: 
Available domains:
- go-build.net
Domain to use for the user's email address and XMPP account (default: go-build.net): 
Error: Username already exists in the list of system users

Yes, admin is only meant for admin purposes, such as login through SSH and to the webadmin, it can’t be used to connect to the user portal

Yes, you can’t create an user with a username already existing on the system, so either chose a different username, or delete the existing system user

Also yes, you can’t log in on the yunohost user portal if the user is just a system/unix user and not a yunohost user

Ah ok - so there is no admin role for the portal?

Thanks for helping out so quick!

Yup, no admin on the portal, it’s only meant for the webadmin

It’s clearly not super intuitive, we hope to improve this one way or another in future Yunohost versions :s

Also “protip™”, the “cherry over the cake”, some app installs may ask you to choose an admin user for the app, and you must choose a “regular yunohost user” and still can’t choose the yunohost admin, so some users are kind-of-admin-but-just-for-apps and zblerg, super confusing

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.