[Time Machine] YunoHost Server as TM Backup Drive

Time Machine for YunoHost

Integration level Working status Maintenance status
Install Time Machine with YunoHost

Lire ce readme en français.

This package allows you to install Time Machine quickly and simply on a YunoHost server. If you don’t have YunoHost, please consult the guide to learn how to install it.

Overview

Package to create a Time Machine Backup Source

Features

• Automatically detected by Time Machine
  • Integrated with YunoHost’s Backups
  • Supports multiple installs

Shipped version: 1.0~ynh4

Screenshots

Screenshot of Time Machine

Disclaimers / important information

• Any known limitations, constrains or stuff not working, such as (but not limited to):
    • Only the *.local location is detected automatically in Time Machine. To use the domain so the backups work over the internet, you need to first manually connect to the server using the command open THE_CONNECTION_STRING on your Mac
    • There is currently no granular control for disallowing connections from hosts (i.e anyone with the username, password and domain can connect to the Time Machine Volume)
  • Connecting manually:
    • The connection string format is also sent via e-mail smb://timemachine:password@IP_OR_DOMAIN/timemachine
    • In Finder, use Command+K and enter the connection string. If timemachine is greyed out, you might need to unmount the volume using the command sudo umount /Volumes/timemachine first
  • Disallowing connections from outside network:
    • Edit either /etc/samba/smb.conf or /etc/smb/smb.d/timemachine.conf (An option might be added in the future)

Documentation and resources

Developer info

Please send your pull request to the testing branch.

To try the testing branch, please proceed like that.

sudo yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/timemachine_ynh/tree/testing --debug 
or 
sudo yunohost app upgrade timemachine -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/timemachine_ynh/tree/testing --debug

More info regarding app packaging: Introduction to packaging | Yunohost Documentation

3 Likes

I wonder if we could merge this package and GitHub - YunoHost-Apps/samba_ynh: Samba package for YunoHost

These 2 packages are very closed to

I could reorganise the package to declare samba as its dependency?

why not.

Do you know if avahi conflict with yunomdns in timemachine_ynh ?

Unless both of them are running on the same port, I don’t they are conflicting.

I can also look into using yunomdns and making the package work with it if they are conflicting.

Let me look and check

Very nice app, thanks !

2 Likes

I could not find a way to use yunomdns for this