There is always something running

So just to be sure : you did this after the system became unresponsive again, right ?

Hm so i’m starting to understand that it probably hangs when trying to send the email with the summary … interesting …

I think you should be able to reproduce the issue manually by running

yunohost diagnosis run --email

(which should run the diagnosis steps, then hang forever while trying to send the email …)

Do you know if something in particular happened to postfix (the smtp/mail server) ? Could it be that you disabled it for some reason ? Or dovecot maybe ?

Hi Aleks, Yes I ran the cat tail while system was unresponsive. Later I ran yunohost killall so I could fix the wetty problem by uninstalling the new version and bringing back the previous version from backup. The killall gives me some time to do things from the web admin before…

Hi Aleks, Guilty as charged. I did try to setup an smtp relay with Mailjet since my ISP is Charter Spectrum and port 25 is blocked. I did stop and restart postfix in an attempt to get the smtp relay working. I know you’ve mentioned smtp relay coming and I think I would need specific instructions on how to get an smtp relay. I remember back in the Yunohost 3 days when mail would come from postfix to my Roundcube email despite port 25 being blocked. But that mail stopped after some upgrades. The yunohost diagnosis is hanging, so I can’t give you any results.

Sooo is postfix still disable now ? (If you run systemctl status postfix ?)

I think you should be able to share the diagnosis with:

yunohost diagnosis show --share

Hi Aleks, I did a yunohost killall so I could run the diagnosis --email. I then ran the other two commands you have sent and here are their results. The share is out there!

Success! Everything looks good for Base system!
Warning: Found 1 item(s) that could be improved for Internet connectivity.
Success! Everything looks good for DNS records!
Error: Found 4 significant issue(s) related to Ports exposure! (+ 1 ignored issue(s))
Success! Everything looks good for Web!
Error: Found 5 significant issue(s) related to Email!
Error: Failed to get status information via dbus for service mongod, systemctl didn’t recognize this service (‘NoSuchUnit’).
Error: Failed to get status information via dbus for service mongodb, systemctl didn’t recognize this service (‘NoSuchUnit’).
Error: Found 1 significant issue(s) (and 2 warning(s)) related to Services status check!
Warning: Found 1 item(s) that could be improved for System resources.
Warning: Found 6 item(s) that could be improved for System configurations.

systemctl status postfix
● postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled; vendor pre
Active: active (exited) since Tue 2021-01-19 19:57:15 CST; 3 days ago
Main PID: 1204 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Tasks: 0 (limit: 4915)
Memory: 0B
CGroup: /system.slice/postfix.service

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is inc
lines 1-9/9 (END)

yunohost diagnosis show --share
Info: This log is now available via https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/towavayato

Hmokay postfix is running but I see you did some changes in main.cf and master.cf, which may be related to Yunohost being unable to deliver the email…

Anyway, clearly Yunohost should not hang forever trying to deliver the email and should instead timeout or detect it’s unable to send the email …

Yes, when trying to get an smtp relay going I did some changes to main.cf and master.cf. But I was unable to get smtp relay going with Mailjet. I did something wrong. Not sure how to do this.

You mean how to “undo” ? :stuck_out_tongue:

If you look at the diagnosis result, it tells:

[WARNING] Configuration file /etc/postfix/master.cf appears to have been manually modified.

• This is probably OK if you know what you’re doing! YunoHost will stop updating this file automatically… But beware that YunoHost upgrades could contain important recommended changes. If you want to, you can inspect the differences with ‘yunohost tools regen-conf postfix --dry-run --with-diff’ and force the reset to the recommended configuration with ‘yunohost tools regen-conf postfix --force’

[WARNING] Configuration file /etc/postfix/main.cf appears to have been manually modified.

• This is probably OK if you know what you’re doing! YunoHost will stop updating this file automatically… But beware that YunoHost upgrades could contain important recommended changes. If you want to, you can inspect the differences with ‘yunohost tools regen-conf postfix --dry-run --with-diff’ and force the reset to the recommended configuration with ‘yunohost tools regen-conf postfix --force’

Aleks, Yes undo! I have done the “force” on the postfix and it said Success! How do I check and see if this has stopped the continuous running?

Okay. To summarize. I tried to set up smtp relay in order to use the new Yunohost Webtrees 2.0. When you install Webtrees 2.0, the documentation at Github says they email you the password to your Yunohost email. Well, I cannot get the email due to port 25 being blocked. So I cannot login to start using Webtrees 2.0. I am using Webtrees 1.14 with the custom web app. But I am unable to upgrade it, getting errors about not being able to unzip the new version. So I am stuck with the old Webtrees. This issue is best not discussed here, I will go to Github and ask the Webtrees 2.0 app creators for help. :smile:

Run manually yunohost diagnosis run --email and see if it hangs forever at the end, or if it completes

1 Like

Hi Aleks, the command did finish. Here is the result:

Success! Everything looks good for Base system!
Warning: Found 1 item(s) that could be improved for Internet connectivity.
Success! Everything looks good for DNS records!
Error: Found 4 significant issue(s) related to Ports exposure! (+ 1 ignored issue(s))
Success! Everything looks good for Web!
Error: Found 5 significant issue(s) related to Email!
Error: Failed to get status information via dbus for service mongod, systemctl didn’t recognize this service (‘NoSuchUnit’).
Error: Failed to get status information via dbus for service mongodb, systemctl didn’t recognize this service (‘NoSuchUnit’).
Warning: Found 2 item(s) that could be improved for Services status check.
Warning: Found 1 item(s) that could be improved for System resources.
Warning: Found 4 item(s) that could be improved for System configurations.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/yunohost”, line 72, in
parser=parser
File “/usr/lib/moulinette/yunohost/init.py”, line 29, in cli
top_parser=parser
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/moulinette/init.py”, line 120, in cli
args, output_as=output_as, timeout=timeout
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/moulinette/interfaces/cli.py”, line 477, in run
ret = self.actionsmap.process(args, timeout=timeout)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/moulinette/actionsmap.py”, line 592, in process
return func(**arguments)
File “/usr/lib/moulinette/yunohost/diagnosis.py”, line 186, in diagnosis_run
email_diagnosis_issues()
File “/usr/lib/moulinette/yunohost/diagnosis.py”, line 588, in email_diagnosis_issues
smtp.sendmail(from
, [to
], message)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/smtplib.py”, line 748, in sendmail
raise SMTPRecipientsRefused(senderrs)
smtplib.SMTPRecipientsRefused: {‘root’: (451, ‘4.3.0 diagnosis@shinevar.nohost.me: Temporary lookup failure’)}

I guess I am not completely stupid. I googled how to read postfix email from the command line and found these commands:

mailq
postcat -vq AA11E1B80712

I was able to read the email from webtrees 2.0 and I am in!

1 Like

I had the same problem after upgrading to Yunohost 4.1.7 today. I don’t know which process was causing the issue. What I did was following the steps here and it worked: apt - E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) - Ask Ubuntu

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.