Special background upgrade explanation

Hello,

I’ve launched an upgrade of my server through the commande line yunohost tools upgrade --system

as expected, it’s launching a minor upgrade of my yunohost, to get to 4.1.7.4 (coming from 4.1.7.3)

Though it’s telling me that upgrade is “special” and will be done in the background and that I shouldn’t do anything in the meantime, I don’t see any progress.
It’s been 3-4 hours and yunohost tools version still tells me I’m on 4.1.7.3.

Is there a way to better understand what that “special background” upgrade does, it seems for me that it’s stuck, but I’m blind on the situation. I’m a bit lost at understanding what is going on. How is the upgrading happening ? Should I be worried ?

Thanks

Hmf yeah we could improve the semantic on that part

Basically the “special” upgrade is the “self” upgrade - Yunohost upgrading itself.

It’s always a tricky situation in software when the software self-upgrade because you’re basically replacing the ladder you’re sitting on. In particular, during a self-upgrade, Yunohost will restart the yunohost api which is the software process used … to trigger/manage the upgrade process itself.

But basically this doesn’t help solving your problem. If the upgrade did not happen after 15ish minutes, it just means something didn’t work. Naively you can try to re-launch the upgrade

If it still doesn’t work, log in SSH and manually run apt dist-upgrade

I’ve relaunched the upgrade again through yunohost command line and got the same result.

Went through to using apt afterwards and that solved the issue :slight_smile:

Thanks !

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.