[Solved] Server crash during nights (but everything OK during the day): 3 last nights in a row

My YunoHost server

**Hardware: Odroid N2+/N2/Helios 64 (3 ARM board)
YunoHost version: 4.1.7.4 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin |
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Hello everyone,
I am trying to write this message in English (because of this (The language barrier - #23 by ljf but sorry by advance because my mother language is French.

My problem is this: for three nights my odroid N2 + (my main server) has been down (around 6 a.m. maybe; no more blue light and forced to restart).
During the day everything is fine.

Yesterday there was an update of yunohost (to version 4.1.7.4) but that does not fix the problem.

So two crashes in 4.1.7.3 and one in 4.1.7.4.

Notable updates of the last few days are for the armbian packages (firmware…etc)

I have difficulties doing good searches in the logs

The “journalctl -p err command”
showed me errors with the openhab2 package (I had to put it to test one day) which I removed. After that I did nothing more.

Do you have any tips before I come back to a previous backup (before the updates of armbian packages ?

Tips for grep command between midnight and 7 am ?

Other advices ?

thank you very much in advance

You could search in /var/log/kern.log around hours when it stop to work. If you find a time range whith no logs, try to watch the lines just before. If there are no time range empty, in this case, it could be some services down (ram missing ?) or a firewall issue (due to vpn client ?).

Hello ljf,

Thanks for your reply

I have tried :
grep “Mar 12 00:00:01” /var/log/syslog ; grep “Mar 12 07:00:01” /var/log/kern.log

But there is no output. Maybe my command is not correct ?

Try with

less /var/log/syslog
less /var/log/kern.log

I think I do some syntax error :slight_smile:

1. grep “Mar 12 00:00:01” less /var/log/syslog ; grep “Mar 12 07:00:01” less /var/log/syslog

Output
grep: 12: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
grep: 00:00:01”: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
grep: less: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
grep: 07:00:01”: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

1. grep “Mar 12 00:00:01” less /var/log/kern.log ; grep “Mar 12 07:00:01” less /var/log/kern.log

Output :

grep: 00:00:01”: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
grep: 07:00:01”: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

I have no idea if it can be related to your problem, but last week I had several crashes, due to a hard drive that refused to stay awake more than a few hours.

It was not tho main disk in my case, so the server stayed on, but if the main disk stops itself, I think it can be bad :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hello Mamie,

thanks for your return. And now all is OK for you ? After which updates ?

I changed the disk with a new one, so no problems for me, this is just a possibility for you.
I used smartmontools [Wiki ubuntu-fr] to try to check my disks and I received many mails for the previous months so I knew it will happen.

OK. I use, as my OS disk, an SD card so I am not sure that smart can be used in my case.
But it’s a good path to dig. Thanks

The easy part with an SD card is that you can just replace it with a clone and test :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re right :slight_smile: I will do that :slight_smile:

Hi,

Had a similar issue and did not find the prove of the cause, but after I uninstalled the auto-update/auto-upgrade the machine runs smoothly.
I have to manually upgrade though - maybe a few cron entries could help :wink:

Hello Ivancan,

In my case, the problem come from the SD card. Thanks a lot Mamie to push me to check the hardware.
In one year I broke 2/3 micro SD cards. It’s too much…so yesterday I moved the “root” of my server on a SSD disk. I hope It will be better.

My output for lsblk is now :

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
└─sda1 8:1 0 232.4G 0 part /
sdb 8:16 0 4.6T 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 4.6T 0 part
└─5to_serveur_xxxx 251:1 0 4.6T 0 crypt
sdc 8:32 0 1.8T 0 disk
└─sdc1 8:33 0 1.8T 0 part
└─2to_serveur 251:0 0 1.8T 0 crypt
mmcblk0 179:0 0 238.8G 0 disk
└─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 236.1G 0 part /media/mmcboot
zram0 252:0 0 1.8G 0 disk [SWAP]
zram1 252:1 0 50M 0 disk /var/log

I think now my SD card is only use for the boot.

But I don’t understand really how the virtual zram works (zram [Wiki ubuntu-fr] ). The only ressource use by zram is RAM ? No interaction with the SD card ?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.