[SOLVED] Re-use of a domain name for a new installation of Yunohost

Hello everyone,

I had a working installation of yunohost on a SD card, I was wondering if it was possible to re-install yunohost on an other device while using the same domain name (of course, I won’t use the first device anymore).
Does anyone know what are the files that I have to copy and how do I have to proceed?

Thanks,

alb

More details:

I am using an internet cube (https://internetcu.be/) where the system has been installed on a SD card.
This SD card has been corrupted and is not writable anymore ; but I still have reading access so I can copy any file to an other SD card.
I tried cloning it using dd on an other SD card but it only resulted to the corruption of a second SD card ; so I decided that I would re-install yunohost from scratch and copy the files I needed.

Basically, I cannot proceed the post-installation using the same domain name because it is already in use ; and I don’t know which files I have to copy from my previous SD card and what is the procedure to make the system work again.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

For re-use the domain name with a new installation you have to send a message to the administrator on this post : Remove / delete domain

Have you created a backup archive before the sd card has been corrupted?
If so you have to try to recover to do a restore, this link can help : https://yunohost.org/#/backup

Hello Obiwan,

Thanks for your answer, this is indeed a working solution.

Nevertheless, I was wondering if it was possible to re-use some files from my old SD card in order not to bother yunohost administrators.
I will take a look at the moulinette code to see if I can bypass the domain name setting ; if i don’t succeed, I’ll do as you say.

I haven’t created any backup ; if I had, it would not have been fun, would it? :wink:
Anyway, I’ve learned the lesson…

Thanks again,

alb

Here is the procedure to follow to re-use a domain name for a new installation of Yunohost:

Proceed to the post-installation with the --ignore-dyndns option:
yunohost tools postinstall --ignore-dyndns

You must stipulate the same domain name as the one you want to re-use.

Note that I received a lot of warnings (I just ignored them):
sudo: unable to resolve host yunohost.yunohost.org

Copy the following folder from the old Yunohost installation to the new one:
/etc/yunohost/dyndns/

Execute the following command:
yunohost dyndns update

The new installation of Yunohost is now working with the same domain name as the previous one.

alb

2 Likes

Thank you very much, that dit the trick for me (migration from BananaPi to an x86 VM on a NAS)!!
As an additional advice, if you had installed the letsencrypt app on your server, you have to copy the /etc/letencrypt directory before attempting any backup restoration.

1 Like