[SOLVED] Issues with email (Rainloop) rDNS/spam

Hardware: VPS bought online ( Contabo )
YunoHost version: 4.2.6.1
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Hello everyone!

Once setup YunoHost and the server I run a diagnosis that declared “Everything good!”.
Specifically, the email section reads:

The SMTP mail server is able to send emails (outgoing port 25 is not blocked).

The SMTP mail server is reachable from the outside and therefore is able to receive emails!

Your reverse DNS is correctly configured!

The IPs and domains used by this server do not appear to be blacklisted

0 pending emails in the mail queues

However, once installed and logged in Rainloop, I received an email from diagnosis@mydomain.xxx saying:

The automatic diagnosis on your YunoHost server identified some issues on your server. You will find a description of the issues below. You can manage those issues in the ‘Diagnosis’ section in your webadmin.

=================================
Email (mail)

[ERROR] The reverse DNS is not correctly configured in IPv4. Some emails may fail to get delivered or may get flagged as spam.

• Current reverse DNS: vmi613407.contaboserver.net
    Expected value: mydomain.xxx
  • You should first try to configure the reverse DNS with mydomain.xxx in your internet router interface or your hosting provider interface. (Some hosting provider may require you to send them a support ticket for this).
  • Some providers won’t let you configure your reverse DNS (or their feature might be broken…). If you are experiencing issues because of this, consider the following solutions:
    • Some ISP provide the alternative of using a mail server relay though it implies that the relay will be able to spy on your email traffic.
    • A privacy-friendly alternative is to use a VPN with a dedicated public IP to bypass this kind of limits. See YunoHost • index
    • Or it’s possible to switch to a different provider

Also, when run email tests, I received this very bad result.
My emails are actually ending in spam.

What am I doing wrong? :upside_down_face:

Not sure why, but apparently mail-tester (and therefore probably other mail server) don’t like the .xyz TLD … which is apparently “not trustworthy” because it’s been abused somehow … Also it doesn’t like that the domain was registered only in last 7 days, which should go away by itself … And finally the content of the mail seems to be too much like a test email and therefore looks like a spam/abuse … but that one is also not an ~actual long-term issue.

All in all, yup, 4.5/10 but closer to something like 8.5, mostly because of that .xyz TLD then I guess…

I’ve tried sending emails to myself and friends and they all ended up in the spam though.

Do I have to wait for those “7 days” to be over?

Or do you think the domain just made this problem irreversible?

Because, I’ve done everything there is to do on my side, right? :sweat_smile:

You can also try to follow this article from gmail → Tutorial: Recommended DMARC rollout - Google Workspace Admin Help

It help me a lot not to be considered as a spammer but it could take some months, before to be considered as a safe email sender…

Thank you a lot.
I tried to follow that article, but I found it very confusing being specific for Gmail I think.

But, I researched similar setup guides for SPF, DKIM and DMARC and I mixed and matched from three different tutorials: this one, this too and also this.

Eventually, after having done a couple of tests and sent a couple of emails, I’m confident it all worked out well so the problem might have been solved now?

Hope so. :sweat_smile:
Fingers crossed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.