[Solved] How to access your local network from the outside easily?

My YunoHost server

**Hardware: Odroid N2+/N2/Helios 64 (3 ARM board)
YunoHost version: 4.1.7.1 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin |
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Hello everybody,

I configured a local Samba network.

I heard that configuring an external samba access, securely, was complicated.

Would there be another simple way to access outside to my local network? to do as if I were in outside?

For info I already have a VPN on the router that gives me a fixed IP that is linked to my main domain name in nohost.me

thank you very much

Edit : A classic SSH connection Of course but is there something that really do as if I were inside?

You can use ssh to tunnel port 139 (or 445 don’t know exactly). Like that you can mount a shared volume from localhost

So something like:

ssh admin@DOMAIN -L 139:localhost:139 -L 445:localhost:445
mount -t cifs //localhost/FILE/ -o username=USER,password=PASSWORD,uid=1000,vers=1.0 /mnt/FILE

Another way is to mount an other VPN (not the one with public ip) and make your server act as a vpn server.

But if i remember well there are performance issues with cifs/samba and VPN/Remote context. So you should think to just set up a simple SFTP access.

1 Like

Hello ljf thanks a lot. I will try to tunnel port 139 (or 445) via ssh :slight_smile:
With SFTP I have problems with libre office if i remember well.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.