Simplifying Yunohost installation with a reverse proxy and tunnel managing service

Hi all, and a big thank you to @lightnin for raising usability concerns.

I agree that the usability of YH install could be greatly improved, particularly with some clearer instructions/recommendations, and perhaps the tunneling tool mentioned. I don’t understand that particular tech, but if it helps YH install be more accessible, then great!

My situation is a good example: I am currently troubleshooting a new Yunohost setup, and my main stumbling block again and again is exactly this point - how/where to set up reverse proxy, dynamic DNS and/or VPN with DynDNS service - so all my currently installed apps and email work. After three weeks and many attempts at workarounds I am still working on it.

To be clear, I’m really enjoying the learning process, generally. And also, I know a lot of folks who I bet would love to host their own/a community YH server, but do not have the time, learning capacity, or functional capacity to navigate the currently circuitous process. I am willing to contribute to this process with the skills I have, should they be useful.

re the point about DNS, I’m comfortable creating and manually editing my DNS records, but I have repeatedly got errors and blocks in my setup process every time the reverse proxy issue comes up.

I am a disabled, hard of hearing UX designer, with only a little server-side experience before this. ‘Call your ISP and ask them to set up reverse proxy’ is not an instruction that is available equally to all. I cannot call them, or receive calls from them. From my perspective, it seems like a more robust install instruction strategy would be to suggest DynDNS or tunnelling services by default, and provide a note to the effect of ‘this step may not be necessary for people to can set up reverse DNS via their ISP.’

Boundary request: Please don’t give suggestions or critiques on how I can ‘fix’ or ‘overcome’ my disability. I will not answer questions about my disabled life. If you reply, please stick to the content of the conversation. You are not entitled to school me on my life or functional capacity.