Secure SMTP with yunohost

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online (STRATO)
YunoHost version: 4.0.8
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Dear Yunohoster,
i have a problem with my Yunohosting platform. I would like to implement an e-mail system there, this also works quite well via the web interface, but there are problems when synchronizing with a mail client, since no secure connection via SSL or TLS can be established there. Can you help me here to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
cnc24

Wokay, can you elaborate on what make you say this ? What did you try, what error message do you see, etc…

Have you install an Let’s encrypt certificate on your domains ?

Webadmin > Domain > YOUR Domain > Configure Let’s Encrypt

1 Like

Thanks for your help, but I think I get rid off the certificate related problems. My Let’s encrypt certificate wasn’t rightly configured :see_no_evil:

The next problem I have is that my E-Mail client, for example Outlook, can’t add my mail account via email/password combination, because the authentications failed. But my credentials are okay. I could logon with the same combination on my web account via browser. if I used the username instead of my mail address I can login into my mail account via Outlook, but I have a different email address. I have to mention that my mail address differs from my username.

For example:
User-credentials on admin page
Username: cnc24 / password
email: cnc.24@domain.tld

Now I want to try the following combinations.
Successful login on Domain and Mail client with the following combination:
cnc24@domain.tld / password -> but sending mail address would be cnc24@domain.tld instead of cnc.24@domain.tld

Authentication fails only on Mail-Client
cnc.24@domain.tld / password -> authentication fails, but on the web frontend it is successful.

Could you help me out with that problem or explain it?

That sounds heavily related to the fact that the email you’re using doesnt match the format username@domain.tld (c.f. “cnc24” vs. “cnc.24”) … This will actually be “fixed” in upcoming version 4.1 by enforcing that the email address should be username@domain.tld

Buuuut that won’t solve your already existing issue … for this you have to (or rather: i would recommend you to) change the main address of the account. Either from the webadmin (in Users > cnc24 > Edit > change the main address) or from the SSO/User portal (in the portal, click on your user name in top left, then change the main address)

Hmm, that’s sounds not for an actual solution, to enforce the user to change his mail address.

I used this mail address before, so I could change it, but then I have to inform all my contacts to change my contact information and that could end up in some problem (e. g. I forget somebody and so on).

But thanks I would try this solution.

Best regards
cnc24

Note that you can also change the main address as suggested and re-add cnc.24@domain.tld as an alias. That way you’ll still receive emails sent to both address … it’s just that your main identity is going to be cnc24

I think you can configure in outlook one or several identities with the email you want (it’s possible to do that in thunderbird).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.