Problems with (S)FTP access after YunoHost upgrade

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi at home
YunoHost version: 3.7.0.12
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

File access with (S)FTP

Hi,

after upgrading to YunoHost 3.7 I can’t access to my YunoHost server as I did before. I read in the documentation that with YunoHost 3.7 it ins’t possible to use SSH with the user root (what I did before the upgrade). Instead I should use the user admin - I think this is correct?

Is the same happening with SFTP? I can’t login with root like before the upgrade. But I can with admin.
But with admin I don’t have the rights to upload any files into my “Multi Custom Webapp” any more or change the permissions of a folder.

Unfortunately my knowledge is too weak: what is the right way to upload files and folders into the “Multi Custom Webapp”?

Best regards, Stefan

Hello,

If you know how to use nano for editing files and are familiar with CLI/Terminal, so you can edit sshd_conf to PermitRootLogin yes and restart ssh service.

Mind that file is important and you should be careful while you’ll edit it.

sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
add a line in the good section
PermitRootLogin yes
Ctrl+o then Ctrl+x to save and quit nano
service ssh restart

Sorry for my dusty English.

ppr

Ppr’s solution will work, but may be reversed at another Yunohost update. And it’s a big security risk.
The correct way to use the custom webapp is to login with the id/pw provided at install :slight_smile: The id is usually “webappX” with X the number of your install. The password may be reset via CLI, using sudo passwd webappX

Feel free to ask if you need more help !

1 Like

Hello ppr,

thank you very much for your help. Works as expected :slight_smile:
(your English seems to be better than mine)

Hello Jaxom99,

thank you very much. I’d like to improve and do the things better than in the past. I do not find the “id/pw provided at install”. To confirm I installed the webapp a second time, but I found no hint like “webapp1” or “webapp2”. Maybe I do not really know what I’m doing, so it might be better to tell the whole story:

I’m using some webOS devices I have left. To keep independent in case the remaining servers might go offline in the future I wanted to build an app-store, hosted in my own rooms (YunoHost on Raspberry). Besides some other YunoHost-apps I have installed so far, the only thing I need is a folder where I can upload and download my favorite apps for webOS
So I don’t really need a “webapp”, only a free folder that I can access by (S)FTP (upload of webOS apps) and with my devices (download of webOS apps).

Maybe there’s a much better way than using a webapp? (In general it works at the moment with the help of ppr)

Best regards, Stefan

Whoops, that line confused me, it mixed two apps : the “custom_webapp” works as I explained, and the “Multi webapp” is provided without dedicated SFTP access !
I misread you earlier, I think you installed the “Multi” one. But the thing is, “custom webapp” may also be installed multiple times, so I guess you’d be better off using that one, with regards to safety.

Let us know how it works out for you :wink:

Hello Jaxom99,

I tried custom_webapp now - works as expected, thank you :slight_smile:

But I still need FTP access to folders in other levels e.g. to view logfiles of other app like Z-Push. So I think I have to set PermitRootLogin from time to time.

Best regards, Stefan

Glad I could help. Have fun with yunohost then :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.