Packaging apps and configuring apps for Dummies

I am selfhosting for a while before Yunohost, but essentially I run docker containers and copy and paste nginx snippets into the config to get things to run.

Packaging:
I have been looking for a quite a while for some dummy tutorial to package my own apps, but I struggle to find any good tutorial for dummies which ideally contains examples I can copy+paste and use for myself. Is it somewhere where I did not find it?

Let’s take Mealie;
Its a docker container with LDAP integration and a fantastic API, good documentation which includes Backups and restores. So litterally everything which is required for a package. Reading through the documentation I think I could set up an install, backup and restore script within a few minutes if all goes well. But then I have no clue how to start on a package. The documentation is a stub, I have not seen anything good in the forum which helps me.

Configuring:
Its is impossible to find the config files for a lot of apps. Isnt there a way to display the location of the most important config files on the config page… perhaps even allow to edit them there?

E.g. Collabora’s dictionaires, when I hosted it myself, I just added an option to the docker command and I got the correct languages. With the Yunohost version, I need to install packages and do some magic. It is a thing which everybody wants I presume. I needed to ask on git-hub and got an answer some time later. I still dont have the dictionaries up and running.
There are a few more examples, in which I spent hours to find the config files. They were at a completetly different location from the ones mentioned “in the internet”.

I love the concept of Yunohost, I love how easy all is, I hope you find more support, and I am rooting for you. But I hope there will be a slightly better documentation at some point. Because right now, all the time I save having the UI is eaten up again by trying get the apps to run in a way I like it + I anyway need to have a second instance to run my other apps not supported Yunohost. So I sometimes think it almost takes more time to use Yunohost rather than do all the configuration manually. (The docker app could be a great solution for a lot of the above issues if it was fully supported)

When things are not documented (benevolent time you know :slight_smile: ), don’t hesitate to ask on the forum/github, this way several people can search together and actually document (yes, not it’s the best way, but still) how to find or do something. That’s how we are making progress :slight_smile:

The best you can have now is the example_ynh repository, or any “simple” (not Nextcloud) app repository.

It’s not a magic bullet, but you may have a look at the app install script, often there is a “config file” part where it will tell you where Yunohost will create that config file.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.