[Zap][Osada] 21.05.21 Social networking platform

Hi

I am happy to bring Osada/Zap a social networking platform to Yunohost.

Osada is specifically designed to be the glue that binds much of the decentralised web in a way that has not been possible before . It does this not by magic, but by “speaking the language” of the various decentralised networks and acting as a translator to pass information between them. Using Osada, you can seamlessly connect and share with your contacts whether they have an account on a Hubzilla server, a Mastodon server, or any of several popular platforms on the open web.

Osada uses Zot6 protocol which is next version of zot5 protocol used by Hubzilla. Osada has native support for the ActivityPub protocol (W3C standard) as well as the more advanced features.

Zap is a full featured social network application running under the Zot6 protocol . It provides enhanced privacy modes and identity/content mirroring across multiple servers ( “nomadic identity” ). It does not “federate” with non-nomadic servers, protocols, or projects like Mastodon, Pleroma, Pixelfed, PeerTube, Funkwhale, Friendica .

What is the difference between Osada and Zap?
It all started when ActivityPub protocol gained popularity from platform like Mastodon, Pleroma, Peertube, etc. The ActivityPub protocol do not have support for nomadic identity ( to take your content and identity from one instance to other, without loosing your contacts). This is main feature of Hubzilla with Zot5 protocol, but as the zot6 protocol required to talk to other networks as feature. The community decided to have share same code base for two services Osada and Zap both having Zot6 protocol. So Osada is for users who want ability to talk to ActivityPub protocol but loose the ability of nomadic identity. Zap retains the ability to nomadic identity like the zot5 protocol but don’t have ability to connect to ActivityPub protocol, thus will not be able connect to Mastodon, Pleroma, Pixelfed, PeerTube, Funkwhale, Friendica but provide more security.

This is the explanation given by the developer @ Mike Macgirvin

Zap and Osada do one thing (social networking) and do it well.

Use Osada if you want a really good ActivityPub server, and use Zap if you want or need nomadic identity and much stronger privacy than the fediverse can offer.

Select one or the other. You can’t have it all. That actually doesn’t work - and there isn’t any way to make it work.

Zap will always be the smaller network, because people will always give up their privacy to follow the herd and be where their friends are.

Use Hubzilla if you actually know what a ‘platform’ is and want to build something great (decentralised communities and cities with shoppes and businesses that all respect your freedom) rather than than just waste your life in idle chit-chat.

6 Likes

salut @kanhu
super intéressé par Osada , mon installation est impossible de mon côté.
L’appli rentre en conflit avec GITEA sur mon instance yunohost
log= https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/egekiyoqaj

hi @kanhu
super interested in Osada, my installation is impossible on my side.
The app conflicts with GitEA on my yunohost instance
log= https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/egekiyoqaj

The log say it all itself.

2018-11-03 09:46:03,429: WARNING - This url is not available or conflicts with the already installed app(s):
2018-11-03 09:46:03,553: WARNING -  * yolateng0.ovh/gitea/ → Gitea (gitea)
2018-11-03 09:46:03,659: DEBUG - + ynh_exit_properly

The gitea conflicts with the domain where you want to install osada that is yolateng0.ovh/gitea/

You need to create the dedicated domain like osada.yolateng0.ovh or some_other_domain.tld to install Osada. Note that once you take a osada.yolateng0.ovh for Osada , you can not use its sub path for other apps eg. this osada.yolateng0.ovh/roundcube can not be used by roundcube.

1 Like

Osada for yunohost have been updated to version 1.6.

1 Like

Bonjour @kanhu,

sur la page Github d’installation d’Osada_ynh, il est demandé :

You have to choose between Osada or Zap protocol while installtion. Once selected the protocol cannot be changed .

Quel protocole dois-je prendre ? Quelle différence entre les deux ?

vincentux.

ps: merci pour tous ce que tu fais pour maintenir à jour les apps sous Yunohost :hugs:

1 Like

Osada for Yunohost has been updated to version 2.0.1.

You can update by admin web interface or by running the following command:

$ yunohost app upgrade -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/osada_ynh osada

1 Like

Osada for Yunohost has been updated to version 2.2 .

Osada/Zap (lesser known Zot6) is a decentralised social networking supporting Mastodon, Pleroma, Pixelfed, PeerTube, Funkwhale, Zap, Friendica, Hubzilla, and many more.

You can update by admin web interface or by running the following command :

$ yunohost app upgrade -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/osada_ynh osada

1 Like

Osada will not be maintained any more.

Now that Osada is gone, and Mike MacGirvin apparently has Nomadic Identity working over ActivityPub in recent Zap versions, is it possible to update the Yunohost version of Zap? I have the current Yunohost version installed, but would love to be able to federate with ActivityPub. If you get a chance to do this, I would be very appreciative :smile:

I will update the zap package today.

Thank you! That’s very exciting :grinning:

Sorry my day become weeks and week became months. Was busy with all wrong things this year.

I have updated the Zap package to the latest release.
And there is more because I have delayed the request. I have added the ability to choose from database of your choice. Two options are Mysql or Postgres.

Zap looks amazing now.

1 Like

Looks exactly like Hubzilla. Are there any differences?

Zap is zot6 protocol that is more concentrated on ActivityPub. Hubzilla offers lot of things out of the box like wiki,articles,webpages,tagging local posts, more addons. Zap is light and handle network on ActivityPub like Matodon,Pleroma, Misskey in better way.

aha ok, Hubzilla light in some way then. The funny thing is it says on the start page “Welcome to Hubzilla”

aha ok, Hubzilla light in some way then.

Actually the zot6 is maintained by @ Mike Macgirvin. He don’t actively develops Hubzilla anymore. The new features he pushes to Zot6 protocol comes directly to Zap, Osada, Redmatrix. Zap don’t have release tags. So when he thinks the update is ready he pushes it to Zap repo. From where it will reach to Hubzilla and may or may not land to Hubzilla depending on the Hubzilla community.

The funny thing is it says on the start page “Welcome to Hubzilla”

There were quite lot of things taken from Hubzilla, so config file gives the same name.I will Fix this in next release. Till then you can change it from admin settings. It will override the default config.

1 Like

Zap for Yunohost has been updated to latest version 2020-11-11 .

Zap (Zot6 protocol based) is a decentralized social networking supporting Mastodon, Pleroma, Pixelfed, PeerTube, Funkwhale, Zap, Friendica, Hubzilla, and many more.

Zap stands out in Fediverse by providing great features like webpages, notes,calendar events, polling, bookmarks, categories, disabling comments , scheduling posts , forums , webdav cloud for smooth file uploading , gallery for pics , face reorganization, set expiring posts , password protected posts , giving access to other users for collaborated writing , ldap , rainbow tags cloud for searching posts with the hashtags , themes , sorting comments by commented data and latest update , privacy groups to post to only particular viewers , support for both bbcode and markdown , creating different accounts by one main account so you can have tech_new , daily_news admin by one account, friend bar which helps you to filter your posts according to the rating given to each user or group .

Zap for Yunohost is updated to the Zap’s latest PR that was merged on 21.02.05.

Osada for Yunohost is working again.

I got completely confused. :slight_smile:
I am trying to put together a subset of applications, intended for small community “village intranet” with focus on netcommons and data sovereignty. Having a proper social platform is crucial, and I see “Zot family” as a pool to choose from.

So, If I need a transient solution to

• test the general concept of Zot family,
  • while federating with AP space,
  • having nomadic identity as an optional bonus
    and
  • if successful, migrate to Hubzilla as more complex solution,

which one should I choose? Zap or Osada?