The issue is not resolved, but I managed to fully sync my files and the error do not occurs anymore. I though the information could help others if it happens to someone else. So here it is for posterity.
My YunoHost server
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2B at home
YunoHost version: 3.6.4
I have access to my server : Through SSH, the webadmin, via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : yes and no. It is a relatively old instance (~3/4 years) that went through a lot of official, community and personal app installation/uninstallation, some SD card brick, a lot of unattended power shutdown, and a lot of other problems that I managed to fix.
Description of my issue
When I try to sync my files with the nextcloud sync client on linux, the server rapidly reboot, probably because of some kind of crash.
- I can not find any logs that would help me investigate, either in nextcloud, nginx, syslog, demsg.
- I can not link this problem to any updates or changes that I have made with the Yunohost setup.
- The server runs fine when I don’t sync nextcloud.
- I seems like downloading large folders from the web GUI leads to the same issue. For example I tries to download an 8.7Go folder full of videos, the download stops after a few minutes, and the server reboot.
- Updating the nextcloud app makes the server unresponsive. I don’t now why. Maybe it is too resource intensive. It has been like that for a few updates, but the updates seems to fully run and everything is back to normal after 1 or 2 reboots.
- I tried te command
last rebootbut can not get any information from it.
Steps to resolve
- Finally found this log in nextcloud logs (from the nextcloud admin GUI):
TypeError: Argument 2 passed to OC\Streamer::__construct() must be of the type integer, float given, called in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/files.php on line 166
- On github this points to two issue on nextcloud server repo: #12422 and #15117
- It looked like a typing error preventing the download of large folders. Only happens on 32 bit system because the argument that should be an integer is casted into a float to avoid an overflow.
- After some live debugging, I made this pull request
- But the issue was still here.
- I tried to sync folder by folder in hope to find a specific file that was causing the crash. But after some crashes, I ended up syncing all my files.
Sadly, it ends here. To sum it up, downloading large chunk of data at once seems to make the server crash for whatever reason. If anyone have a way to monitor RAM, temperature sensor, CPU, or other to investigate I would be happy to try it.
I take this opportunity to say a big thank you to the Yunohost team