[Minetest] A voxel game

Minetest for YunoHost

Integration level

Install Minetest with YunoHost

This package allow you to install Minetest quickly and simply on a YunoHost server.
If you don’t have YunoHost, please see here to know how to install and enjoy it.

Overview

Minetest is a free open-source voxel game engine with easy modding and game creation.

Shipped version: 5.2.0

Screenshots

Demo

No demo but you can test with servers in https://servers.minetest.net/

Configuration

How to configure this app: by SSH

Documentation

YunoHost specific features

Multi-users support

Are LDAP and HTTP auth supported? No

Can the app be used by multiple users? Yes

Supported architectures

• x86-64b - Build Status
  • ARMv8-A - Build Status
  • Jessie x86-64b - Build Status

Limitations

• This app is not compatible with LDAP.

Additional information

• Migration from old package
    You can’t migrate directly with an update.

• Before installing the new package you need to download this folder from your server /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest/worlds/world (this folder contains all world data)
    • Uninstall the old package sudo yunohost app remove minetest
    • Install the new one sudo yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/minetest_ynh
    • Stop Minetest service sudo systemctl stop minetest
    • Copy the folder you have copied before in /home/yunohost.app/minetest/.minetest/worlds
    • Start the Minetest service sudo systemctl start minetest
  • Installing mods

More information on the documentation page:

Links

Developers info

Only if you want to use a testing branch for coding, instead of merging directly into master.
Please do your pull request to the testing branch.

To try the testing branch, please proceed like that.

sudo yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/minetest_ynh/tree/testing --debug
or
sudo yunohost app upgrade minetest -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/minetest_ynh/tree/testing --debug
3 Likes

So what is the best/easiest way to admin this? I can now login as users (without password although I said the server should only be available to LDAP registered users…)

Will the minetest wiki be enough to learn about this? Or are there some YNH specifics to be aware off?

Hello @dosch
The wiki should be enough to start administrating minestest.

Configuration can be done in /home/yunohost.app/minetest/.minetest/minetest.conf

1 Like

hey @k36, one thing I miss.

At installation YNH asks you which game you want:

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 22.34.12

What if I wanted to have Mineclone2? Would I just type that name? Do I first need to get that zip onto the server?

Do you have an idea what steps to take to use another game?

Hello @dosch ,
I have never done it but I suppose you can install the world after the installation and set the new world as default in the config file located at /home/yunohost.app/minetest/.minetest/worlds/minetest.conf

# World directory (everything in the world is stored here)
map-dir = /home/yunohost.app/minetest/.minetest/worlds/world
1 Like

Yeha, Mineclone is not a world, but a game.
You can specify the game when you install minetest. But it is unclear to me how that works…

Maybe @ericg has an idea?

Hello @Sango do you have an idea about game installation (for instance Mineclone2) ?

1 Like

In the meantime I found out that there are two important locations where files are kept:

Main config files lives at /home/yunohost.app/minetest/.minetest/minetest.conf
The Mineclone2 game should be downloaded and installed at /opt/yunohost/minetest/games/mineclone2

It seems that if you choose to use Mineclone2 as your game upon installation, you just have to put the files of the game at the right location mentioned above.

If you want to change a game after installation, you can do so by changing the game in the minetest.conf file (not entirely sure)

@Sango, @ericg

any change the latest commit will get through one day?

Minetest 5.7 seems to be around the corner…

work on 5.8 is well underway.

Any news on YNH updates for this?
@ericg did you abandon this? Or is it merely on pause?

Just for info, I discovered Minetest last week and loved it :smile:
So, I did a PR for 5.8.0

And on my server, I installed mineclonia (a fork of mineclone2), should I add a PR to add it as a default option ? (same as capture the flag).

I only have one problem left : the configuration file is overridden on upgrade, is there a YunoHost compatible way to avoid this cleanly ?

And version 5.8.0 is available, with an upgrade of the code, thanks @ericg :heart:

2 Likes

And also, note the screenshot change reflecting the winter cold :cold_face:

3 Likes

Thnx for the work @Mamie! :heart:

One thing: before the game Mineclone had to be installed at /opt/yunohost/minetest/games/mineclone2, but somehow that location is gone.

Dunno why, but after the upgrade my world now is broken:

And the server throws these errors:

Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs_mc:sheep" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs_mc:chicken" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mcl_bows:arrow_entity" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs_mc:chicken" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mcl_bows:arrow_entity" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mcl_mobspawners:doll" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mcl_mobspawners:doll" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs_mc:shulker" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:37 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:37: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mobs_mc:cow" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:43 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:43: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mcl_bows:arrow_entity" not defined
Jan 20 15:11:45 minetestserver[11661]: 2024-01-20 15:11:45: ERROR[Server]: LuaEntity name "mcl_bows:arrow_entity" not defined

Would you have an idea what to do?

Yes, totally, and that is exactly why I made a fork (and a PR so it is by default)
There is I think something to change about the gameid in the conf file AND the system service.

(If this is not enough, ask again and I’ll see on my server)

I found it!

You have to open the world.mt of your world in a text editor and change the gameid from

gameid = MineClone2

to

gameid = mineclonia

2 Likes

Doing this, you changed from MineClone2 (which was installed manually and things changed recently) to mineclonia (which is a fork, so it should not break things, I used it because it seems more stable)

1 Like

@Mamie do you know if it is possible to have 2 worlds (or games) on the server?
I’d like to have a survival and a creative world to choose from when people come to the server. Could be on different subdomains… maybe?

The domain is not important, only the port.
So I think you can try to install a second one and see if it is completely configured.

But do a backup first, just in case :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

but I have to select a domain while installing. Shall I choose the same one as the other game? And how to change the port…? Or does YNH do that by itself?