Install Yuno on Debian 10.13? My hoster does not support Debian 11/Bullseye

Hey there,

I am very excited to try out yunohost, so I got myself a V-Server at Strato. I tried to install via ssh, but Yunohost install failed.

FAIL] YunoHost is only available for the version 11 (Bullseye) of Debian, you are using ‘10.13’.

[INFO] Installation logs are available in /var/log/yunohost-installation_20230116_205949.log

I understand, that the install failed because of too old OS of my server. My hoster does not allow update to Debian 11.

What can I do? Is it possible to install a older version of yunohost?
Is it a possible workaround to use ubuntu 20.04?

Greetz and thanks for your help

Christian

If your hoster doesn’t support Debian Bullseye, then I would strongly advise to change hoster…

Bullseye has been out for 1.5 year, and Bullseye itself is gonna be ~outdated (becoming ‘oldstable’) in 6 months …

2 Likes

You can also upgrade Debian to Bullseye before to install YunoHost.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove

Then open the /etc/apt/sources.list file with your text editor and replace each instance of stretch with buster and buster/updates to bullseye-security. If you have other source-list files under /etc/apt/sources.list.d, you must update those sources too.

Then run :

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo systemctl reboot
sudo apt autoremove

You can check the Debian version by using the following command:

lsb_release -a

If you are on Debian 11, you are ready to install YunoHost !

Warning from @hugogogo when doing this procedure that could be useful for others

I’m on a dedicated server, and when i did the reboot step sudo systemctl reboot, i lost definitively my ssh connection, I cannot connect anymore. It’s possible that some changes have been done during the upgrade to the authorized_keys file, I don’t know, anyway now my connection is rejected. Maybe if i had not forbid password access i could have still use this method, I don’t know.

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind replies! I tried to look for another hoster, but for now i ll try to Update that thing by myself :pray::pray::pray:

Wish me luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.