I’m creating a ToS page for my home server, for fun and education reasons. This is for my family and friends to read.
Feedback is welcome (en français aussi). Feel free to adapt and use if you like
This site and all services provided are private and exclusive for invited family and friends members. You shall not use these services otherwise, except for the publicly exposed pages, or invitation by a member (e.g. via a link to shared content).
No warranties can be provided regarding usability, durability and reliability of these services.
Automated daily backups are in place however please note access and/or data can be lost, temporarily or permanently, due to network access loss, not paying the bills, hardware failure, broken software updates, misconfiguration, admin mishaps, toddlers, pets, spilled coffee cups, tripping on the plug and other hazards.
The provider reserves the right to terminate the services at any time. While an advance notification will likely be provided, this may not be possible. You’re advised to keep backups of your own data and do not overly or exclusively rely on these services for critical endeavors (e.g. work or school assignments).
In the case of a bad breakup, personal revenge, parental punishment enforcement, or misbehavior (read ‘Behavior expectations’ section below), the services may be discontinued for an undisclosed period.
Most of the personal data and content is, as in most services out there, not encrypted in storage.
The provider of the service pinkie-promises to not access your personal information unless:
- manually retrieving it for you if you request it;
- needed for troubleshooting, with your agreement;
- law enforcement requires (please behave);
The server will log accesses. These records are kept in the server and not usually viewed unless for the purpose of troubleshooting and maintaining or restoring the security of the server.
The above mentioned logs will not be shared with anyone, unless required by law enforcement.
While hosted services will not use third-party cookies or share your data with mass surveillance companies in the back end, some apps seem to fetch content from Google (e.g. airsonic web interface will get stuff from gstatic.com). Google being Google will most likely log your IP. Other third parties may do the same, for example if you access their embedded content (e.g. online videos in a feed).
You agree to behave and not do anything stupid and/or illegal such as, including but not limited to:
- sharing your privileged access to the services with an unauthorized third party, or other behavior that would expose other member’s personal information and content, jeopardize server security;
- bad speech and misinformation regarding the site admin;
- uploading child pornography - this includes your own nudes if you’re a minor;
- spamming from a hosted email account, XMPP or other communication service;
- scamming, phishing, offering illegal or abusive online services;
- organizing or perpetrating crime, terrorism, regime overthrow and other illegal stuff;