DNS resolver : how to add permanently an IPV4 server?

Hello,

Currently, the DNS resolver of my Yunohost server (a minimum debian install on eeepc + script of Yunohost, exactly as stipulated in the doc) is only through IPV6 server. And this IPV6 “only” make federation of Matrix -I am currently testing- not possible for the time being.

Indeed my /etc/resolv.conf included only :

nameserver 2001:41d0:3:163::1
nnameserver 2001:41d0:1:e2b8::1

So I changed this file to :

nameserver 2001:41d0:1:e2b8::1
nameserver 91.121.161.184

But this file is overwritten very quickly by Yunohost. I could check that this change is fine (my install of Matrix messenger worked then) but this lasted few minutes until Yunohost write back resolv.conf with its initial values.

How can I make permanent change of this file without compromising the stability of my Yunohost server ?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Crou²

PS : this is the question of my last post of Matrix Messaging . This is a very specific question not directly linked to Matrix server so I dared creating a new topic. Sorry if I was mistaken on this decision.

1 Like

Une solution qui à l’air de marcher :

Installer Resolvconf : apt-get install resolvconf
Modifier le fichier /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base en ajoutant les serveur dns qui semblent marcher, dans mon cas le fichier contiet alors

Relancer le serveur reboot

Et ça marche !
La question en suspend… est-ce que cela a des conséquences sur le fonctionnement général de mon serveur Yunohost ?
Si des Dev’ passent par là, je serai intéressé par leur conseils / point de vue.

Et une bien bonne année par la même occasion !
Un serveur Yunohost avec la messagerie Matrix opérationnelle, que demander de plus ?
:slight_smile:

[ I realized I switched to French, sorry… translation below ]

A solution that seems working :

Install Resolvconf : apt-get install resolvconf
Modify the file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base adding the DNS server working in my case, for me the files contains

Reboot the server reboot

And it works !
aing question… is there any consequences on the general functioning of my Yunohost server ?
If any Dev are around, I am really interested by their point of view / advices.

I’m not very aware of this part of the code of YunoHost but, from all the research I’ve made, we don’t handle /etc/resolv.conf. I think this is done by your debian installation that probably ship with network-manager or something similare which is know for writting this file.

So this won’t break anything at all theoretically.

On the other hand YunoHost is shipped with with a local dns server (dnsmasq) so you can use localhost as a nameserver.

For you solution, you might want to specify that you are use OVH dns server (both on ipv4 and ipv6), not everyone might want to use their server.

After some investigation, Matrix is based on twisted which is know for not supporting ipv6 since years and is still in the process of implementing it https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/IPv6

I think your situation is quite specific for having a network that only gave you ipv6 for the DNS server, I don’t think that this is applicable for most people but this is something that needs to be taken into account but I don’t know how. Maybe YunoHost should starts handling resolv.conf?

Thanks for your reply and explanation.
I understood Matrix should be handling IPV6 only, but we don’t know when.

I didn’t know that my situation was more linked to my Debian install than to Yunohost specific configuration. I am happy to read this shouldn’t affect Yunohost server. Indeed I am not knowledgeable enough as to use dnsmasq for DNS resolving.