DNS, DDNS and mix-hosted services

Hi,

I have a question about DDNS.

Long ago I bought a domain name to a registrar to have an email and a website. The registrar is also a provider, so they are hosting my website and my email using my domain name. That’s all very normal.

Now I wanted to to add more services to that domain name, but I would like to self-host them with Yunohost.

Me, at home, I don’t have a static IP address, so I should use DDNS. I don’t have IPv6.

Fortunately, the provider has a control panel where I can configure some DNS things.

The first thing I wanted to do is adding a new webpage to the website, but I want to self-host that new webpage in my Yunohost, while keeping the rest of the website where it is, with the provider.

I have configured a subdomain with DDNS in my home-router, so now I am able to host the new webpage for the website using this subdomain. That is ok.

But now I would like to know if it is possible to do that without a subdomain. Because for the rest of the services I want to self-host (like XMPP and others), I would prefer to have them just with the same single domain name, not using a subdomain of it. But I also don’t know how to do so, I mean having some services at the provider and some others at home, and all using the same domain name.

Any help, suggestion, explanation… would be very much welcome!

Thank you

Typically that’s done with what’s called a reverse proxy, meaning one of the server redirects the request to the other (well at least that’s for web stuff, but doing this for email / xmpp is another story)

Though that really makes the whole setup more complex and you are gonna need to tweak many conf files manually and would not really recommend it …

1 Like

Got it. Thank you Aleks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.