Changing URLs of Applications without Re-install

It maybe my ignorance of Yunohost. I started using Yunohost only 2 days ago on my dedicated server.

What I’m trying to achieve is to change application URLs without having to re-install the applications and lose all the configurations.

An example scenario :
I have a wordpress installation at https:// mydomainname.com/wordpress/
I want to change it to https:// blog.mydomainname.com/

I know the obvious method of re-installing the application with the required server. But I’m looking for a more easier solution.

On a normal web page, I can change the name of the directory from wordpress to WordPress and the link becomes https:// mydomainname.com/WordPress/. Set up a server block on Nginx to redirect https:// blog.mydomainname.com/ to /var/www/WordPress and the link changes. I’m looking for that kind of a solution.

I wouldn’t mid if I’d have to tinker with a few config files. But I don’t want to lose all my configurations re-installing the application. For example, a wordpress / roundcube / AgenDAV installation would need quite a lot of work to get it back to the customized state.

1 Like

hi there,
that’s my question, too! Is there any news about this?
but in my case i don’t want a subdomain, but change for example from mydomain.com/nextcloud to mydomain.com/cloud
Is there an easy way?

Hello

Looks like I have the exact same issue since I switched from OwnCloud to NextCloud : I would gladly change the url from myDomain.com/owncloud to myDomain.com/cloud. And maybe someday I would like to change it to cloud.myDomain.com too…
Is there a lot of work to change this manually by modifying some configuration files or is it complex because too many items are interconnected ? Are there any plans to change this with Moulinette and from the web configuration pages ?

Thanks for your help !

Squeeek

1 Like

looks like there is no answer. No way…

Hello, don’t know but… What about backup database and files, new instance on another path, and restore?

If you are a “sysadmin”, you can try to modify nginx configuration files (I’ve done it, it works) but it’s not recommended and probably breaks some things in Yunohost configuration files (if you miss one file). So

I think it’s the best way. If you know how to save/restore your sql table (via phpmyadmin for example). You create a subdomain like “cloud.domainename.com”. You export your apps table in a sql file. You remove and reinstall your apps on cloud.domainename.com sublevel (choosing / as path - not a path like appsname. It will be the only app avaible on cloud.domaine.com sublevel). You restore you sql dump file in your database.

1 Like

Thanks for the hints @juliencognito & @Genma, I’ll have a look as soon as I have time.
Does the sql dump include the actual files or just the path and permissions / sharing of the files ?

By the way, is there any (dis-)advantage of having subdomains (e.g. cloud.mydomain.com) rather than sublevels (e.g. mydomain.com/cloud) ?

In the case of Yunohost, if you install an app on a on subdomain, you cant’ install another app on it (but it’s cool to have a cloud.mydomain url).
In general case, you can move/change your server and move your apps in a better way in you use subdomain. You just have to move your apps, change your DNS. With a sublevel, you can’t do it so easy.

Some apps don’t allow to be installed on subdomain in yunohost and needs a sublevel (shaarli).
Personnly, i’ve
blog.genma.fr who is a other server
genma.fr is on yunohost @home
myprivatedomaine is the same yunohost @home (same machine, another domain name) and I have cloud.myprivatedomainename (nextcloud on yunohost) music.myprivatename (sonerezh on Yunohost), and myprivatedomainename/shaarli (for example) for apps that don’t allow a subdomain.

Subdomain needs a certificate per name. (or a wild card * certifcate) for HTTPS. Sublevels needs only a certificate for the domain name (easier). Let’s encrypt comes and allows to have a let’s encrypt certificate for each sublevels (easier to have than a wild card certificate which is expansive)

Subdomains need to configure your DNS (you can add
music cname mydomain.com
cloud cname mydomain.com lines, it’s not so difficult)

Hopes it’s answering you with advantage and disavantage of sudomain vs sublevels :wink:

1 Like

Wow thank you for the detailed answer @genma !
Regarding certificates it is also a good point to take into account (I am currently self-certified but I will try let’s encrypt at some point).
Should we create a french topic with the same info ? Others might be interested… (or other languages FWIW, but I have mostly seen french and english on this forum, and these are the languages I speak well enough to translate from/to huh)

You’re welcome if you have time to translate this informations in French. And why not integrate them in the official docs? I can help you, I’m French too :wink:

I know you are, we already met at the Bazar du Libre :wink: (yes, I know, so many people in these events…)
I’ll do a post this afternoon then, and maybe I’ll add it to the doc, not sure yet I’ll have time for that too.

OK. I’ll take the action to add it in the doc. I’ll do in when i will be in “doc improvement time task”.

1 Like

French post is here.
For non french speakers, please feel free to ask any extra questions or precision. Thanks !

Hi,
Currently, there is a development version about that (unfinished) https://dev.yunohost.org/issues/127 .

To do what you want, you need to:

• change app settings in /etc/yunohost/apps/YOUR_APP/settings.json
  • change nginx conf in /etc/nginx
  • maybe change app configuration ( config file in /var/www/YOUR_APP) it’s different for each app
  • maybe change database ( in general it’s a mariadb database, you can explore it with phpmyadmin_ynh app). You need to change old URL by new ones
  • restart nginx and ssowat

SO it’s not very simple, that’s the reason why, a move feature was not implemented. Finish this feature, will increase app maintainer work, and there is already a lot of works with yunohost 2.4 compatibilty and backup/restore adaptation.