Cannot edit files using users or admin account

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: yunohost 3.5.2.2 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through SFTP
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If yes, please explain:

Description of my issue

After the latest updateI red that I should use admin and not root, as a matter of fact, I cannot even connect with root anymore as the certificate I was using is not accepted anymore by the server.
So, I connect with user admin or any other SSO users, I can read the files, but I cannot edit them.
Each folder below /var/www/ has its own user:group as the application name, ie. : wordpress:wordpress, in the web interface I gave access to each user I need, but still, cannot modify anything.
One hypothesis I have is that I should edit /etc/group file, what I can see there is that groups exist but no user is listed under wordpress or any other application I have installed. But if that is so, I wonder what happened, why none was automatically created.

Bonjour,
Une fois connecté sur votre système ssh admin@votredomaine.tld, vous devriez pouvoir faire un su et passer en root.
Je vais faire traduire en ligne, mon anglais est très mauvais :frowning:
Hello, Once connected to your system ssh admin@yourdomain.tld, you should be able to do su and go as root. I will translate online, my english is very bad :frowning:

Merci for your reply.
I guess you are referring to the sudo command in ssh?
But what if I want to use an FTP client such as filezilla or WinSCP?

You can connect with root user on a local network, but you can’t connect with root from remote public ip.

You can decide to authorize some ips in the ssh config file:

Other solution

It might be possible to connect first with :

ssh admin@YOURSERVER.TLD -L 22:localhost:22

Next you can make a sftp with root on localhost:22 . But it seems internal ip (127.0.0.1) are not allowed to connect as well… I will change the code for that.

The Pull request to autorize localhost ips: https://github.com/YunoHost/yunohost/pull/737

Thanks,
for now what I’m doing is change ownership of files, at least temporarily, then I’ll put them back once done.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.