Borg configuration : Borg Server + Borg backup x2

:uk:/:us: (english)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online, Old computer and NAS
YunoHost version: 4.2.4
I have access to my server : Through SSH, through the webadmin and direct access via keyboard / screen | …
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Hello,
I would like to set up a Borg backup but I have trouble understanding how it works and the documentation is not too up to date (or I didn’t find it).

I want to backup 2 Yunohost (SrvA and SrvB) that are on VPS to a Yunohost (SrvC) at home, on which I map a NAS with NFS. The SrvC will backup locally to the NAS

I mapped my NAS to :

/mnt/NASbck/backup
I believe Borg has a default destination folder. I read this somewhere on the forum, can’t find the info. What is this path?
I guess it would be better to map the NFS link to that path.

Are these the next steps to follow, with the Borg Backup and Borg Server apps, to configure the whole thing?

I install Borg Backup on SrvA and SrvB :

So they will each have passphrases used to encrypt backups.
The Borg repo for both will be: ssh://backupid@FQDN_SrvC:22/~/backup

On SrvC, I install Borg backup and Borg Server

Borg Server:
The ssh user is “backupid”,
The public key corresponds to the SSH key generated at the end of the installation of Borg Backup?

How to specify several keys from several Borg backup?
Multiple Borg Server installations?

Borg backup :

The Borg repo: I put directly the path of the backup repo folder

Thank you,
Cyril

:fr: (français)

Mon serveur YunoHost

Matériel: VPS acheté en ligne, Vieil ordinateur à la maison et NAS …
Version de YunoHost: 4.2.4
J’ai accès à mon serveur : En SSH, Par la webadmin, En direct avec un clavier/écran | …
Êtes-vous dans un contexte particulier ou avez-vous effectué des modificiations particulières sur votre instance ? : non

Description du problème

Bonjour,
J’aimerais mettre en place une sauvegarde Borg mais j’ai du mal à comprendre comment ça marche et la documentation est pas trop à jour (ou alors je ne l’ai pas trouvé).

Je souhaite sauvegarder 2 Yunohost (SrvA et SrvB) qui sont sur des VPS vers un Yunohost (SrvC) chez moi, sur lequel je map un NAS avec NFS. Le SrvC se sauvegardera en local vers le NAS

J’ai mappé mon NAS sur :

/mnt/NASbck/backup
Je crois que Borg a un dossier de destination par défaut. J’ai lu ça quelque part sur le forum, impossible de retrouver l’info. Quel est ce chemin ?
J’imagine que ce serait mieux de mapper le lien NFS sur ce chemin/

Sont-ce bien les étapes suivantes à suivre, avec les applis Borg Backup et Borg Server, pour configurer l’ensemble ?

J’installe Borg Backup sur SrvA et SrvB :

Ils auront donc chacun des phrases de passe utilisées pour chiffrer les sauvegardes.
Le repo borg pour les deux sera : ssh://backupid@FQDN_SrvC:22/~/backup

Sur SrvC, j’installe Borg backup et Borg Serveu

Borg Server :
L’utilisateur ssh est “backupid”,
La clé publique correspond à la clé SSH généré à la fin de l’installation de Borg Backup?

Comment spécifier plusieurs clés provenant de plusieurs Borg backup ?
Plusieurs installations de Borg Serveur ?

Borg backup :

Le repo borg : je mets directement le chemin du dossier de repo backup

Merci,
Cyril

You should backup one server per borgserver (=repo). Borg Backup is not really made to backup different machine in same repo (it could work but it will be long cause you need to redo some cache each time).

So the steps are:

1. Install borg_ynh on SrvA
  2. Install borgserver_ynh on SrvC (with info received by email on root adress of SrvA)
  3. Install borg_ynh on SrvB
  4. Install borgserver_ynh on SrvC (with info received by email on root adress of SrvB)
  5. About backup SrvC on your NAS, you have to install borg_ynh and provide /mnt/NASbck/backup path. Be sure to give write permission to the system user of this borg_ynh app.

Tips : In 4.2 you can manage label to differentiate which app is the good one e.G. “Backup repo for SrvA”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.